Simple Idea: Get rid of the sandy dirt/soil and grow some grass.
The dirt turned out to be really firm and the quality of the dirt was awful. So, we thought this was an easy fix and rented a tiller. Chris tore up that section of the yard and he found wood chunks, screws, and lots of rocks. According to our neighbors, our lot was never supposed to be developed so the developers didn't put thought or time into our yard. We aren't the original homeowners so we wouldn't have known this.
The scope of the project got bigger. Originally, it was just one section by the side of the road. It ended up being the section by the road, a strip by the driveway, part of the side yard, and the backyard. Yeah, we are the go big or go home type.
With the poor soil quality discovered and the dirt dug up, we had loam delivered to fix the soil quality issue. Well, the loam doesn't just spread itself. My wonderful hubby cleaned up the soil and then spread the loam (with his little helper).
At this point we were somewhat back on schedule, but then again we didn't set a schedule, and even if we did it would have been shattered beyond recognition.
Next, came seeding and adding a light layer of loam.
|Little sprouts after 5 days|
|Bigger sprouts as of yesterday morning|