Picture

Picture

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pinterest Busters: Texas Sheet Cake Cupcakes

Aren't you excited? Two recipes in 1 week! I saw this recipe on Pinterest and knew I needed to try it. I remember eating Texas Sheet Cake (or Iced Brownies) at my Great Grandma's House as a little girl. Since my Mom and Grandma just went out to see her in Indiana, I felt the need to make something that reminded me of her since I wasn't going to recreate Tenderloin sandwiches...yet.

I used the recipe even though it was a tad different than the one I am used to making. One change that I made to the recipe was to add cinnamon. It wouldn't be the same without cinnamon. I added 1 teaspoon to the icing since I forgot to add it to the batter.

Texas Sheet Cake Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 24 cupcake liners into muffin pans. In a small saucepan, bring the butter, water, and cocoa powder to a boil. Turn off and set aside. Combine flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and cocoa mixture. Stir until well blended. Pour batter into cupcake liners (about 2/3 full). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until done. They will be moist- make sure that you don't overcook them! Cool completely.

Frosting:
6 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, combine milk, cocoa powder, and butter. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Stir until it starts to thicken slightly (about 3-4 minutes). Drop a tablespoon full onto center of each cupcake. The frosting will thicken quickly, so do not make the frosting until ready to put on cupcakes.

Overall, it was a success. I will probably try my grandma's recipe in a cupcake pan next time but for the most part we liked it.

2 comments:

  1. Megan this was one on Bob and Davids favorite cakes hope they taste as good. Thank you for the recipe. Love Grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gram, I had no idea! Maybe that's why I love these so much.

    ReplyDelete