Picture

Picture

Monday, January 14, 2013

Teacher Gifts

I wanted to do something for Derek and Brooke's Sunday School and MOPs teachers. I tried to just make 1 gift for both sets of teachers for my sanity's sake. I tried to come up with a teacher gift that looked nice, Derek could help me make, and that was relatively easy. That left my list rather small. One thing that I remember making when I was younger was cinnamon ornaments and so after checking out the recipes online I thought Derek could help me make them.

I adapted this recipe.

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

3/4 Cup Regular Applesauce
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Mix applesauce and cinnamon in bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness between plastic wrap. Cut dough into desired shapes. Place ornament onto baking sheet. Make a hole at the top of the ornament with a plastic straw. Bake 1.5 hours. Cool ornaments on wire rack. Let stand 1 to 2 days, turning occasionally. Insert ribbon through hold and tie to hang.

*FYI This is A LOT of cinnamon. I bought a large bottle from Sam's Club because I was making a lot of ornaments. Its just more cost effective.



I wanted to decorate the baggies to make them feel a little more special. I added a little thank you note and Derek helped me stuff them in the baggies. Then I stapled a piece of scrapbook paper to the top which covered the ziptop to give it a more polished look.The lighting was tricky because the baggies were so reflective but you get the general idea.

For our Sunday School boys, we made candy bags. Candy is what speaks to 3rd grade boys. The bags toppled over when I tried to take pictures but I promise there is more candy in the baggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment