Picture

Picture

Friday, October 5, 2012

Baked French Toast Recipe

Last week, I needed to bring a hot breakfast item to our MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting. I have a quiche that I can make it my sleep, but I wanted something new and different. My theory was if I came home with an empty pan then I knew I could make it at home. I also knew that if I came home with a full pan then it was a dud and not to make it again. Since breakfast is served buffet style, no one would know which one was my dish.

Baked French Toast 

1 Baguette French Bread Cut in 1-inch Slices
6 Large Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1 Cup Light Cream of Half and Half
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 Cup Butter, Softened
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
Maple Syrup

The day before: Butter a 13 x 9 baking dish. Arrange bread slices, squishing them together if needed, to fill pan completely. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over bread slices; cover and refrigerate overnight.

Next day: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup; mix well. Spread evenly over bread. Bake 40 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Wonderful by itself or with maple syrup.

*This recipe originally had nuts in it. I knew that there were several moms with nut allergies, so I deleted them and didn't notice a difference.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Megan this sounds really good. Did the children get to try it? Grams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it was a hit, I made it the other night for dinner and both kids ate it.

      Delete